Monday, August 8, 2011

The Watermelon Mystery

We have a small watermelon patch in our garden. We have several growing and one day I decided to cut one open and see how it was doing. It was starting to get ripe, but they still have a long way to go. I have been worried because most of the watermelons seem to be staying about the size of a softball and not getting any bigger.

Well, today I went out to the garden and saw this huge, ripe watermelon. It looked like it doubled in size overnight. I ran inside and told Riley he had to come check it out. I was pretty excited that my watermelons were starting to grow better. Riley came out and was impressed, but then said, "I don't know how that can even be possible." Then we both looked closer at the watermelon and realized that it was not attached to any of the vines. We did some thinking and made a few phone calls and found out that my dad was playing a joke on us! He bought a watermelon after he left church yesterday and then snuck over to our house when we were not home. He strategically placed it in our garden so we would think one of ours had grown! We got a good laugh about it! I only wish that I could have seen my dad sneaking around carrying that big watermelon! I don't think we will ever forget this watermelon mystery.

I had to have my watermelon in my daily harvesting photo, since technically we did get it out of our garden. It tasted really good with dinner. I just hope the rest of my watermelons can get that big!

No comments: