Monday, August 8, 2011

Storing Up for Winter

I have been looking for free or cheap sweet corn that I can freeze for winter. Well, I found some! There is a member of Riley's parent's church ward that is doing his PhD on corn here at Purdue. When he was finished with his research on his sweet corn field he let people come pick some for free! I was so excited about this. We loaded up the kids and went and picked 20 dozen ears of corn!

I was surprised when we got home and saw just how much we picked.


Riley was my cornhusker...

and corn cutter!

After about 3 hours of blanching and cutting corn off of the cob, we ended up with 31 bags of corn for the freezer (not to mention the hour of picking and two hours of cornhusking)! It feels really good to know that we have all of that saved up for when we need it.

3 comments:

Loni said...

GReat job guys!

The Asays said...

Good work!! (I was so bummed we weren't in town this weekend to take part in the free sweet corn, bummer.)

Emily said...

Holy corn!! I remember when you lived in OH that you guys had a small chest freezer... Judging from all the things you've been freezing lately you must have upgraded since then. That is awesome!