Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why the name Jaylee Adolene?

We had a difficult time deciding on Jaylee's name. Jaylee has a long legacy of strong, independent, feisty, and fun women. I really wanted a name that would remind her of her heritage. All of her grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and great-great-grandmothers are amazing women and I feel lucky to have been given another woman to raise up to become like them. (This baby crib has history as well. Jaylee's Great-grandpa Waterbury was first put in it as a baby, then my mother, then me and my siblings, and now Jaylee.)

Jaylee
A few months ago Riley and I sent out an e-mail to family asking for name suggestions. My mom actually came up with the idea of Jaylee by combining my name with Riley's. I normally think combining names is a little silly, but somehow the name stuck out in my mind. When I said it out loud I immediately thought of my sister and myself. Both my sister's and my name start with a "J" and so the "Jay" part of her name made me think of my sister and the relationship she and I have. My sister and I are best friends and can always make each other laugh and feel better when we are having a bad day. We have had so many good times. I love that Jaylee's name can be a reminder of my sister and I at all times. My sister has three boys and no daughters so hopefully this niece can have a piece of her personality and heart as well.


Adolene
During our first year of marriage Riley and I took a trip to Canada to celebrate his great-grandmother Adolene's 100th birthday. I was really impressed with the spirit around her and the legacy that she had created. She also had a large part in helping to raise Riley's dad, who in turn raised Riley. Riley is a better husband and father than I ever even dreamed of having. Ever since then I knew that if we ever had a daughter that I wanted to name her Adolene. Adolene was an amazing woman and I feel like she is an all around representation of the qualities that I hope Jaylee takes from the many women in her family history.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love you so much Jess. It might be a while now before I can say "Jaylee" without getting teary-eyed. I miss you and treasure the relationship we have. I can't imagine not having you as my sister. Give that beautiful niece of mine a big hug and kiss and tell her that her Aunt Jennifer loves her already! See you soon. xoxoxoxoxo

Loni said...

Group Hug!