Friday, September 2, 2011

Even More Stuff I've Grown

Riley and I spent an evening making pickles with all of our cucumbers. We made around 2 dozen jars of dill pickles!

Some of our sunflowers are finally ready to harvest. I have never harvested sunflowers before so I had to look up how to do it. This is Easton holding our biggest sunflower. As you can see it is huge and heavy!

First we had to get out each individual seed and let them soak in a saltwater solution all night. After that I had to let them dry out and roast them in the oven for 30 minutes.

This was the end result, roasted sunflower seeds! They did taste pretty good. It was actually a lot of tedious work, so it is probably just cheaper and better to buy them from the store. I still have lots of sunflowers in the garden that need harvested if anyone wants some. (I was really missing my sister-in-law, Emily, while I was sorting through the good and bad seeds and leftover flower particles. Emily enjoys sorting through stuff like that!)

Well, we grew sweet corn in our garden and some of it wasn't too bad. However, these are the only two ears that we had to show for it, because the damn raccoons (or some other pest) ate them all! They literally husked them, ate them, and left the empty cobs on the stalk in one night! Chewy is not a very good guard dog I guess.

No comments: